Sunday, November 30, 2008

Cheese

Many that know me personally would not think “fan of cheese” as a way to describe my taste. However, there are many things that are intriguing about cheese. I like the white cheeses such as Parmesan, especially shredded, and mozzarella. I am not fond of Swiss because the unnatural holes throughout. How did those hole get there? If you slice a block of Swiss cheese the holes are not the same throughout they are in different places, which seems sketchy. The yellow cheeses are not appetizing at all, for my taste. From Gouda to Munster both having suspicious edges of darker yellow. Then there are cheeses like pepper jack that have weird seasonings throughout. Now cheese gets moldy after a certain time but with pepper jack, how would you know if it was mold or seasonings? How did these mysterious seasonings get there? Could they possibly just be little specks of mold and this is the company’s way of selling old cheese? Speaking of mold, blue cheese is just moldy cheese, and it comes in 75 different kinds. That is quite a bit of types of moldy cheese. Now there are also some cheeses that I am not sure if they are considered cheese. Cottage cheese, near a liquid with solid parts, is this a cheese? You can’t cut it up and put it on crackers but it is still edible so is this an addition to the cheese family or not?
Some cheeses are kept from the public so that they can get better with age. This is also the way that wine and other alcoholic products are made but cheese? There is encouraged eating of moldy cheese throughout the world because it is a delicacy. Some cheeses are also proven to have results on sleeping, positive and negative. Plus, some people should not eat cheese such as pregnant women because of listeria, a bacteria known to cause miscarriages.
A few unknown facts: The United States leads in the world producer of cheese, doubling what the second country, Germany, makes. However, we are not even on the list for cheese exporters or consumers.
So, in the end my point is this, don’t trust cheese, unless it is one straight color and texture.

8 comments:

SSNickel said...

What about the spray cheese?

theteach said...

I too like white cheese, particularly the Vermont extra sharp cheddar. Here is a bit of information on the holes in Swiss cheese:
http://ask.yahoo.com/20020610.html

If the cheese is pasteurized, pregnant women can eat it.

What source did you select for your information about cheese? I would like to read it.

The Monk said...

I'm not a big fan of white cheddar. Yellow cheddar is pretty good, except I find it to be a bit strong. Yellow American cheese from the deli counter (not the stuff in the dairy aisle) is also pretty good, in my opinion, although I know some people absolutely hate American cheese. I like mozzarella, but when it's melted (preferably in the oven on a slice of Italian bread), I'll die for it. There's some other cheeses I like, but I don't know what they're called--I'm too passionate about eating to really care what anything is called.

Shay said...

SSNickel: Sorry I forgot that.

The Teach: I basically just typed in cheese to yahoo search and read the first 15-20 sources for some general information.

The Monk: I am one of those people that hates American Cheese. Also, I, too, have a passion for eating, no matter what it is.

The Monk said...

Have you ever seen Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit? It's a clay animation involving rabbits, romance, and cheese. If you can put aside the fact that it's a children's movie, it's quite funny.

A Random Late-Night Observation brought to you by AP Language.

SSNickel said...

I have not seen it, but it sounds interesting. I will have to check it out in between studying for AP Euro tests and the 90 page review packet for the midterm. :)

Shay said...

By the way, I was signed in under my friend's blog but that was actually my comment. Now I kind of feel like I am talking to myself so I am going to stop now.

SSNickel said...

Nice job posting your AP Euro midterm rant under my name making it look like I said it... :-p