Thursday, June 4, 2009

This I Believe

A beautiful sunny day seems perfect to many people. Nothing could be better than the shining sun on their backs, and the birds singing through the skies. Cheer seems to fill the air with its rays. But then the rain comes. The clouds slither in, the light is covered, and depression ensues. But I take a different approach. I embrace the darkness that surrounds the sky, and wait anxiously for my favorite activity of the day: dancing in the rain.

I believe in dancing in the rain
No need for umbrellas
My hair catches every drop just fine
Feeling the water drip from my head
To my face
And down my arms
Soaking wet until I can’t separate myself from the weather
The rain heals my problems
Cleans the slate
To create anew

I raise my arms to the pouring water
Engulfing every drop I can reach.
Anything to get a step closer to perfection
As the lightning surrounds the night sky
I begin to spin
Creating a whirl of shapes and colors
Watching the water fly around me
The rain protects me from reality
While the world swings by

After the funeral of a loved one I dance
After the failure of a test I dance
After the friends I once held leave I dance
I take refuge in the rain
And where it comes from

Music plays in my mind
Creating a rhythm
For me to move along to
I love this time of free expression
Ignoring the looks of confusion from my family
As I find the beat of the drops
Helping me release
And let go.

My faith says that God flooded the Earth in order to rid it of horrors. Every time I feel the rain wash against my skin while I dance I remember Him, and no matter what current troubles I am in, I know that after the 40 days and 40 nights, a rainbow will always be there, showing me that a new day of light shall come.


9 comments:

theOX said...

when I dance in the rain, people get hurt! however, in the most seriousness of all, that is good advice for all who don't know to dance in the rain

The Monk said...

I can't see myself dancing in the rain, because I'm usually not very content when I'm drenched in wet clothes. I do, though, like to look at the clouds and watch the rain fall and feel the stormy breeze. An optimist in me likes the occasional cool, clear sunny day to cheer me up, but dim light, rainwater, and a gray world gives us more of what we need. Happiness is an intoxicating pleasure. Wind, rain, violence have more meaning than blue skies and bunny rabbits.

Even though I consider myself the anti-Poet, I really liked your poem. The form and the imagery let me get the picture and your meaning. It's a nice piece, and I like it.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Shay said...

theOX- thank you. I agree everyone should know how.

Monk- thank you for your kind words. I can't see you dancing in the rain either but I agree that the rain has much more of an impact than a sunny day. by the way, I love being drenched in wet clothes which is why downpours are the best to dance in. :)

theOX said...

I'm sorry if I creeped you out with my last comment... I hope you don't start getting paranoid and fear for your safety... I'm not a stalker (to you, anyway)so you have nothing to be creeped out about me, your friend, the incredible OX...


gwu

Shay said...

OX: I was a little creeped out but don't flatter yourself, I would never be afraid for my own safety.

theOX said...

your cow makes me drool


please... I'm desperate.... read my blog!

The Monk said...

What does Shay do during a thunderstorm?

theteach said...

Marvelous!! I too love the rain, but never have thought of it exactly in the terms you outline. Yes, water is a cleansing agent, one that refreshes. And yes a deluge of rain can be destructive, but once the rain subsides, there is that rainbow. Too much rain destroys; too little rain causes hardship and devastation.

I look at my garden, so green and vibrant, tomatoes appear as do green peppers and beans. I have picked quarts and quarts of raspberries, so many that I will freeze some. The benefits of rain. Neighboring townspeople do not celebrate the rain as they work feverishly to sandbag the approaches to their homes.

Soon the summer drought will cause us to pray for rain; we will also pray that it comes in moderation.

No matter what happens, we can hope for the appearance of that rainbow.

Shay said...

Monk: Thunderstorms are even better. Then the after effect where you are drenched but it is only drizzling enough to just see it in the air is outstanding.

Teach: Thank you! The rain does have its good and bad aspects I just tend to try and look at the good. Something I should do more often in my life.